It’s day 42 of #Mission52 and I must say, it’s been quite a journey and maybe today’s blog post should be left for the end of this 52-day wellness and self-development course. But in the spirit of #WellnessWednesday, I thought, why not, seeing as our purpose with #Mission52 is to pursue and achieve different or just one goal.
However, the underlying question should be: why do I want this so bad? Often, the answer maybe due to the feeling that achievement will give you. Then what? To drive home my point, consider the story below…
In 1923, nine of the wealthiest people in the world met at Chicago’s Edge Water Beach Hotel.
Their combined wealth, it is estimated, exceeded the wealth of the Government of the United States at that time. These men certainly knew how to make a living and accumulate wealth. Attending the meeting were the following:
1. The president of the largest steel company.
2. The president of the largest utility company.
3. The president of the largest gas company.
4. The president of the New York Stock Exchange.
5. The president of the Bank of International Settlements.
6. The greatest wheat speculator.
7. The greatest bear on Wall Street.
8. The head of the world’s greatest economy.
9. A member of President Harding’s cabinet.
That’s a pretty impressive line-up of people by anyone’s yardstick. However, let’s examine what happened to them 25 years later, and what lessons we can learn from their lives, as we pursue our own dreams:
1. The President of the then largest steel company (Bethlehem Steel Corp), Charles M Schwab, lived on borrowed capital for five years before he died, bankrupt.
2. The President of the then largest gas company, Howard Hubson, went insane.
3. One of the greatest commodity traders (Wheat Speculator), Arthur Cutten, died insolvent.
4. The then President of the New York Stock Exchange, Richard Whitney, was sent to jail.
5. The member of the US President’s Cabinet (the member of President Harding’s cabinet), Albert Fall, was pardoned from jail just to be able to go home and die in peace.
6. The greatest “bear” on Wall Street, Jesse Livermore committed suicide.
7. The President of the then world’s greatest monopoly, Ivar Krueger, committed suicide.
8. The President of the Bank of International Settlement, Leon Fraser, committed Suicide.
9. The president of the largest utility company, Samuel Insull, died penniless.
What they forgot was how to “make life” while they got busy making money!
Money in itself is not evil; it provides food for the hungry, medicine for the sick, clothes for the needy. Money is only a medium of exchange.
We need two kinds of education:
a) One that teaches us how to make a living.
b) One that teaches us how to live.
There are many of us who are so engrossed in our professional/career lives that we neglect our families, health and social responsibilities. If asked why we do this, we would probably say we do it for our families. Yet, our kids are asleep when we leave home early in the morning, and when we return home at the end of the day. Twenty years later, we look back with regret, as they all leave our nests, one by one, to pursue their own dreams and live their own lives.
Think of it this way, without water, a ship cannot move. The ship needs water. But if the water gets into the ship, the ship faces existential problems. What was once a means of living for the ship becomes a means of destruction.
Similarly, we live in a time when earning a living is a necessity but let’s not allow the earnings to enter our hearts, for what was once a means of living can surely become a means of destruction for us as well.
So take a moment and ask yourself, “Has the water entered my ship?” I hope not!
My hope is that the above story will drive all of us to a better direction in life, as we pursue our daily goals an ultimate dreams.
Remember: Alone I can say, but together we can talk. Alone I can enjoy, but together we can celebrate. Alone I can smile, but together we can laugh.
That’s the BEAUTY of human relations. We are nothing without each other. So stay Connected. Be inspired. Make someone smile today, and have a great day.
Wishing you a very healthy and wealthy life that will not steal your soul. #YouArePossible #IAmPossible #LetsBePossibleTogether